I’m not a huge fan of olive green but I loved the ruffle detailing of this olive green dress so I decided to pick this up. How do you guys feel about ruffle dresses? Now that I’m looking at these photos, I’m not quite as much of a fan of this olive green dress than I was when I first bought the dress. That happens sometimes when you have a blog; you get to see how a dress photographs and sometimes your feelings on the clothes change. I ended up selling this to a friend and she looks great in it. Last fall, I had a red ruffle dress I was obsessed with and ended up buying the black version too which you can see here. I think those are just more my style!
Recently, I read a post from Meg Biram where she shared her #firstsevenjobs after coming across this article from The Atlantic. I thought it was an interesting question so I thought I’d share mine. I’d love to hear what yours were too! You don’t have to list all seven but I think it’s a fun question. 🙂 Keep scrolling to read what mine were!
1. Residential Habilitation Worker– I spent my summers in high school working with special needs children and young adults. The idea was to help them work on goals toward living more independently and improving their quality of life. It was tough but I worked with such great kids!
2. ABA Worker– I worked with 2-3 year old autistic children using Applied Behavioral Analysis to help them behaviorally and socially. I liked the actual job but the setting, not so much. I stayed a little less than a year while attending my first year of college.
3. Assistant Special Education Teacher– This was so tough because the children were pretty difficult behaviorally! But I loved my coworkers and it was fun. I would have stayed on another year at least if they would’ve let me continue part time. I was in school full time and didn’t want to work more than I was working the first year (9-2). Another interesting thing about this job was that it made me switch my major. I changed it from special education to psychology that year when I realized that teaching wasn’t what I wanted to be doing.
4. Paraprofessional– One of my favorite jobs! I did this for 2-3 years with an adorable boy who had a lot of medical issues so I had to stay in school with him. He was the funniest kid and this is a reminder that I need to check up on him! A paraprofessional is a great job to have while in school in my opinion.
5. Social work intern in middle school– I wasn’t sure if I should count my internships as jobs but I decided to because they were each close to a year and I spent a lot of time doing it. I loved the middle school kids and enjoyed the internship. My supervisor and I had some difficulties but other than that, I enjoyed it.
6. Social work intern in a day program for mentally ill and blind adults– My favorite internship/job! I loved everything about the job. My clients kept me on my toes, I loved the mix of leading groups and doing individual psychotherapy, the social workers there were awesome as was the other intern I was with. My supervisor was great and I learned so much. It was definitely the best from all seven years.
7. Psychotherapist- I worked in a mental health clinic for the last four years doing individual and family therapy and left at the end of August. I enjoyed having a big variety of clients of all ages and all sorts of issues. But the fee for service model that has taken over is hell to experience which is why there is a huge turnover rate in the field. I lasted a longer time than most! Why is it hell? Because you get no insurance, no benefits, no sick days- nada! And when your clients don’t show up, you don’t get paid and plus, you sit there and twiddle your thumbs with huge gaps in your day. I did enjoy my actual work and probably would’ve been happier if I was treated with the tiniest bit of respect by the higher ups.
And now, I’m studying for my LCSW and planning to start applying for jobs soon where I’ll hopefully have more opportunities with the higher level degree. Tell me about your previous jobs!
Olive Green Dress: short frilled dress (check out more ruffled dresses I love in the slide below!) Booties: blake stud or sierra stud bootie in black with more sizes Clutch: similar Slim Tonda Matte Metallic Lizard Minaudière Lipstick: long-wear lip creme liquid lipstick in fraise bon bon Ring: Brooklyn Designs c/o