The diet industry is $70 billion dollars and counting and heavily invested in us believing our bodies are problems in need of fixing. We are constantly bombarded by messages that the only way to be worthy and acceptable is to be thin and of course it takes a toll on us. We’re human and our fatphobic world impacts everyone negatively; thin people are terrified of getting fat and fat people know that everyone is desperate not to look like them. It’s a no-win situation.
The body positivity movement has been growing and more people are realizing that body diversity exists but are struggling to shake off the messages that fat=unhealthy because it’s hard unlearning a lifetime of opposite messaging. So today I thought I’d share my list of podcasts, books, and resources for those interested in learning more about Health At Every Size, intuitive eating, and body positivity. Let me know if you think there’s something I’ve missed!
Health At Every Size Podcasts:
- Food Psych– Christy Harrison is an RD tackling issues around intuitive eating, body image, eating disorder recovery, weight stigma, fat acceptance, nutrition, and more
- Dietitians Unplugged– Aaron Flores and Glenys Oyston are two RD’s covering topics on health and wellness without a focus on the scale or counting calories.
- Love, Food– Julie Duffy Dillon is an RD and talks about eating disorders, dieting and more, from a non diet approach. She also recently released a 10 episode podcast on PCOS from a weight neutral approach of course (I’m in the 8th episode and you can read more about my PCOS journey on the blog here) and you can find the PCOS episodes here.
- Body Kindness– Rebecca Scritchfield is an RD passionate about fighting diet culture and shares a ton of great information.
- Nutrition Matters– Paige Smathers is an RD who helps people learn to have a positive relationship with food.
- The BodyLove Project– Jessi Haggerty is a dietitian and personal trainer who covers topics with the goal of helping you get to a place where you can mend your relationship with food and your body.
- Don’t Salt My Game– Laura Thomas is a registered nutritionist in the UK and I love her blunt, no BS style of sharing accurate information all from a HAES approach.
Fiona Willer has a great weekly newsletter that I’m personally signed up for called Unpacking Weight Science filled with great articles from the week on these topics.
Books on Health At Every SIze, Intuitive Eating, and Body Positivity:
- Intuitive Eating
- Health At Every Size
- Body Kindness
- Body Respect
- Body of Truth
- The Body Is Not An Apology
- You Have The Right To Remain Fat
- The Eating Instinct
Websites and Blogs:
- Yourfatfriend.com – Her writing is powerful and brilliant and of my absolute favorites.
- Dances WIth Fat – An amazing resource for Health At Every Size and size acceptance topics.
- Marci RD – Marci Evans is an amazing dieititian with great posts that help dismantle diet culture.
Some Instagram Accounts To Follow (there are sooo many more but these are just a few or I’ll be here all day):
- Beauty Redefined– I listened to their Ted Talk and it taught me so much about body image and self objectification.
- @theantidietplan – My boss is amazing and I have to include her! I work at her private practice in Midtown East as a therapist and love my job so much.
- @mollybcounseling – Queen of bomb captions that you’ll want to read- so much you can learn!
- @bodyimage_therapist – Another therapist to learn so much from.
- @mynameisjessamyn – Redefining what it means to be a yogi or athlete. She’s amazing!
Read more about why diets don’t work here.